Sour cream coffee cake is a perfect treat to go with a hot drink. What takes this coffee cake recipe to a different level is the double layer of streusel.Print
Sour cream coffee cake is a perfect treat to go with a hot drink. What takes this coffee cake recipe to a different level is the double layer of streusel.
- 1 stick, (1/2 c.) unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. white granulated sugar
- 1 c. sour cream (not fat-free)
- 2 c. white all purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
Cinnamon Sugar Topping-
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line a 9×9 in. pan parchment paper.
- With a hand mixer (or stand up mixer) cream butter, eggs, vanilla, and white sugar.
- Add the sour cream and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, add and mix all the dry ingredients together. (flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda.)
- Slowly add the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients. The batter will be very thick.
- In a small bowl, make the cinnamon sugar topping. Mix white and brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon together. (nuts are optional.)
- To make the coffee cake, you’ll be doing layers. (Batter, topping, batter, topping.) First, spoon half the batter in the 9×9 in. pan.
- Add half the cinnamon sugar topping on top of the batter in the pan.
- Put the remaining batter in the pan and spread with a rubber spatula.
- Add the remaining cinnamon sugar topping.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (mine usually takes 44 minutes.)
Let the sour cream coffee cake cool for 20-30 minutes before slicing.
- Category: Dessert
- Serving Size: 9
- Calories: 479
- Sugar: 35.3g
- Sodium: 193mg
- Fat: 25.2g
- Carbohydrates: 59.1g
- Protein: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 83.4mg
Keywords: sour cream coffee cake
Recipe adapted from Our Best Bites.
If you love this cinnamon dessert, you’ll love my cinnamon swirl bread recipe.