Have you ever had pumpkin coffee cake? This light cake has nutmeg and ginger with a sweet maple glaze on top.Print
Have you ever had pumpkin coffee cake? This light cake has nutmeg and ginger with a sweet maple glaze on top.
For the Cake:
- 2 c. all purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 c. pumpkin puree (half to 3/4 a can)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 4 oz. sour cream (7.5 TBSP)
For the Streusel:
- 1/4 c. all purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 TBSP unsalted butter
- (optional) 1/2 c. chopped pecans
For the Glaze: (Double this if you want a thick glaze)
- 1/4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 TBSP maple syrup
- Set the oven to 350 degrees. Line/grease a 8×8 inch square metal pan.
- TO MAKE THE CAKE- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, ground nutmeg, white and brown sugars.
- In a separate small bowl, add the pumpkin puree, 2 large eggs, vegetable oil, and sour cream.
- Make a well in the bowl of the dry ingredients, and slowly add the wet ingredients. Mix together.
- Add 1/2 of the pumpkin batter in the square pan.
- TO MAKE THE STREUSEL- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, and chopped pecans.
- Add half the streusel on the pumpkin batter.
- Finish it off with adding the remaining pumpkin batter, then the last half of the streusel on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes until a toothpick used to test the middle of the pumpkin coffee cake comes out clean.
- TO MAKE THE GLAZE- Mix together 1/4 c. powdered sugar and 1 TBSP of maple syrup together and drizzle on the cooled pumpkin coffee cake. (Cake should cool for at least 15 minutes.) If you want a thicker glaze, double the glaze ingredients.
-Glass and ceramic pans cook longer than metal pans.
-Pumpkin coffee cake can be stored in the fridge or at room temperature for up to 4 days.
-Nutritional facts do not include optional pecans.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 457
- Sugar: 40.5g
- Sodium: 234.6mg
- Fat: 19.2g
- Carbohydrates: 67.9g
- Protein: 5.9g
- Cholesterol: 55.9mg
Recipe adapted from Handle the Heat.
If you love this pumpkin recipe, you’ll love my pumpkin chocolate chip muffins.