I found this healthy banana muffins recipe when my son kept asking for more food in his lunch. The secret ingredient in these banana muffins are oats!
I noticed I had some ripe bananas on hand, so I quickly went on Pinterest and looked for healthy banana muffins. This was one of the first recipes that popped up. It didn’t take long to make, and they came out great. Our kitchen smelled amazing!
What makes these banana muffins healthier?
A normal banana muffin recipe has around a cup of sugar and 1/3 cup of butter or vegetable oil. These muffins have 1/3 cup of sugar vs a full cup of sugar. They also have 2 tbsp of vegetable oil vs 1/3 cup of butter or vegetable oil. Another positive point, is that these muffins still came out moist!Print
The secret ingredient in these banana muffins are oats!
- 2 ripe bananas (smashed)
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. old fashioned oats
- 2/3 c. all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/3 c. granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a muffin tin with 9 silicone/paper liners.
- Smash two bananas in a small bowl.
- In a medium bowl, add the milk, egg, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and smashed bananas and mix well.
- In a large bowl, add the oats, flour, white sugar, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder and mix.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together in the large bowl and mix well.
- Fill the 9 muffin liners with the muffin batter. They will be full, almost to the top.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. (I did 20 minutes in my oven.)
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 162
- Sugar: 11.4g
- Sodium: 80.6mg
- Fat: 3.8g
- Carbohydrates: 28.9g
- Protein: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 20.9mg
Keywords: healthy banana muffins
Recipe adapted from The TrophyWife Style.
If you love this recipe, try my Martha’s Banana Bread.