Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
- 1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted melted butter (slightly cooled)
- 1 3/4 c. light/dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 c. all purpose unbleached flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 c. dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 13 casserole pan with aluminum foil and let some hang off the sides. Spray the aluminum foil with cooking spray to make the bars easier to come out.
- In a medium bowl, mix the melted butter and brown butter together.
- Add the vanilla extract, egg, and egg yolk.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients.
- Add the dark chocolate chips and coconut.
- Spread batter into the pan. I use my rubber spatula to flatten it out.
- Bake for around 35 minutes. Use a toothpick to test if it comes out “mostly” clean as Sally recommends.
- Let the pan completely cool before cutting and removing the bars.
- Bars can be stored in the fridge or room temperature for about a week.