Recipe adapted from Our Best Bites.
-Set oven to 350 degrees.
Cream 1 stick of unsalted butter (1/2c.), 1 tsp. vanilla, 2 eggs, and 1 c. white sugar together.
Add 1 full cup of sour cream and mix well.
In a separate bowl, mix together 2 c. flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/4 tsp. baking soda, and 1/2 tsp. salt.
Add dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients and mix. The mixture will be very thick.
-Grease or line a 9×9 pan with parchment paper.
-Spoon half the batter and spread in the pan. (You will be layering batter, cinnamon topping, batter, cinnamon topping.)
In a small bowl, make the cinnamon topping. (cinnamon, vanilla, white and brown sugar)
Spoon half the cinnamon mixture on top of the coffee cake batter.
Take the remaining batter and layer on top of the cinnamon topping. The batter will be very thick. I just spoon it out and place on every corner in the pan then lightly spread it even with a rubber spatula.
Use the remaining cinnamon sugar topping and put on top of the batter.
Bake for 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees. Use a toothpick to test it and see if it comes up dry, then you’ll know it’s done. With my oven, it takes about 44 minutes.
Let the coffee cake cool for 20-30 minutes before removing from the pan.
- 1 stick, (1/2 c.) unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. white granulated sugar
- 1 c. sour cream (not fat-free)
- 2 c. white all purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
Cinnamon Sugar Topping-
- 1/4 c. white granulated sugar
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- (optional) 1/2 c. chopped walnuts/pecans
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line a 9×9 in. pan parchment paper.
- With a hand mixer (or stand up mixer) cream butter, eggs, vanilla, and white sugar.
- Add the sour cream and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, add and mix all the dry ingredients together. (flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda.)
- Slowly add the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients. The batter will be very thick.
- In a small bowl, make the cinnamon sugar topping. Mix white and brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon together. (nuts are optional.)
- To make the coffee cake, you’ll be doing layers. (Batter, topping, batter, topping.) First, spoon half the batter in the 9×9 in. pan.
- Add half the cinnamon sugar topping on top of the batter in the pan.
- Put the remaining batter in the pan and spread with a rubber spatula.
- Add the remaining cinnamon sugar topping.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (mine usually takes 44 minutes.)