Recipe adapted from Girl Vs. Dough.
Muffins are such a versatile food. Muffins are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a snack. Add a fruit like strawberries and a sugary crumble on top, and I doubt anyone can say no to one!
It’s not strawberry season yet, but I was still able to find some good ones in February!
Cut up 1 1/2 c. strawberries to save later for the batter. Spoon in a little flour with the strawberries. This helps prevent the strawberries from sticking to the bottom of the muffin batter. It doesn’t look pretty, but it works!
Next, cream the butter and sugar.
Once it’s fluffy, add the vanilla and egg.
In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Next, slowly add the milk and flour mixture a little at a time to the wet batter.
Once the milk and dry ingredients are all mixed together, fold in the chopped up strawberries.
Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the batter in a lined muffin tin.
Next, make the crumble. In a small bowl, mix the brown and white sugars together with the flour. Add in the cold, unsalted cubed butter.
The picture below is what it looks like if the butter is still too large. You want it small and coarse. Use a pastry blender or the back end of a fork to do this.
Here is what the butter should look like mixed in.
Fill the muffin tray with the crumble topping. Save some for the extra muffins you will make after these first 12.
Bake for 18-20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 c. unsalted room temperature butter
- 3/4 c. granulated white sugar
- 1 1/2 c. all purpose flour, plus a little extra for the strawberries
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 1/2 c. chopped strawberries
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 1/4 c. cold unsalted butter, cut up in small cubes
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with liners.
- Chop up 1 1/2 c. strawberries and place in a bowl. Spoon some flour in the strawberries and mix well until the strawberries are all covered with the flour.
- With an electric hand or stand up mixer, cream butter and sugar. Next, mix the vanilla and egg with the batter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk in the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients and milk a little bit at a time to the muffin batter.
- Gently fold in the chopped strawberries.
- Add batter 1-2 tbsp in each muffin liner.
- Make the crumble topping. Whisk both sugars and flour together in a separate bowl. Add in 1/4 c. cold unsalted cubed butter. With a pastry blender or the back end of a fork, blend the butter into coarse crumbs in the crumb topping.
- Spoon the crumb topping on top of the batter. Make sure to leave enough for the extra muffins. (this recipe makes 16 total.)
- Bake muffins 18-20 muffins.